July 08, 2010

Cafe Beautiful

Cafe Beautiful is definitely an appropriate name for Chef Sukan's cozy, lofted, private restaurant on Massachusetts Street. This past Tuesday I had the pleasure of dining at Cafe Beautiful with a small group of friends in honor of new transitions. My friend Lindsey will be moving to Chicago this weekend and I'll be moving to New York City in a month. Sukan's food celebrates very percise knife work and all that is simple. He doesn't advertise and he said he breaks even with his business. It's not about the money for Sukan, and that's obvious when you get the check and you've just experienced eight courses of beautiful food for $67 in the comfort of a personal dining room. Oh yea, and you get you bring your own wine AND you get a personal chef all to yourself for three hours. Deal? I think so. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.



"Justifiable passion. That's what I have."
-Chef Ken Sukan



Course 1: Butterflied shrimp with a bay scallop in an egg custard

Notice that the custard is presented in a hallowed squash bottom.

Wine Pairing: The. Formula 2005 Small Gully



Course 2: Fresh fruits glazed with ginger dressing

I adore the little kiwi flowers. I think this looks like a fruit boat with a pineapple sail.

Wine pairing: Siduri Pinot Noir 2008



Course 3: Red snapper
Wine pairing: Folie a Deux 2006 Napa Valley

Course 3 (vegetarian): Tempura vegetable tower


Course 4: Cucumber salad with white tuna and sesame drizzle

This salad is one of the best salads I've ever put in my mouth. Sukan created tiny julienned tendrils of jicama, purple cabage, carrot, and cucumber tossed with a light vinegarette. The hallowed cucumber created a bustier for the overflow of seductive slaw.

Wine pairing: I think I stopped writing down
the wines at this point in the meal...Oops.


Course 5: Sockeye Salmon with a ginger soy glaze
and a salad of apple and fennel


Course 6: Tuna sashimi flower presented in an ice bowl

Course 7: Sushi unagi
Course 8: Warm tea (not pictured)

After eight courses of fantastic food and wine, we were all happily full and buzzing. The conversation was rich with laughter and memories. Lindsey said it best: "I love how more wine brings out the sheer honesty that I so much appreciate." It was a night of the best food and company I could have asked for.