July 18, 2010

The beginning of a new beginning

My boyfriend of sixth months left for California this morning. He loaded a small and rusted Corolla with his three bikes, a handful of belongings, and a his cat. He packed light, left all that he knew, and headed West to discover what his California itch is all about. I'm happy for him, but a selfish part of me wishes we had more time together. The reality of separation really stings, even though I am moving in 13 days.

A knot of emotional congestion has gathered in my chest and I've lost a taste in my mouth. I've also failed to write for about a week, which was against my blogging plans. I've been eating, but it hasn't been very enjoyable since he told me he was leaving. My friends and family have pulled me through the doldrums and I've accepted that life without him will feel strange for awhile.

My friend Cameron believes I'll feel better when I move. I have every reason to feel excited, and our conversation over dinner at Teller's last Thursday reminded me of that. Cameron has an unmatchable ability to lift my spirits and make me laugh. He drank some Adami Garbel Prosecco and I sipped a couple glasses of Wente "Morning Fog" Chardonnay. Cameron insisted that I eat something, even though food was the last thing on my mind. We split a warm goat cheese spread appetizer with Black Mission Figs. My tears were interrupted by spurts of laughter and the appetite that had vanished made an appearance. It was a therapeutic dinner for me. We had a few side salads and nibbled on a margarita pizza fresh from the pizza oven. It's just what I needed - Simple food, a few drinks, and Cameron's company.

My dad, step mom, and brothers visited on Friday to experience a stroll down Massachusetts Street for one last time before I move. They treated me a mojito at Esquina and dinner at Pachamama's, which caters to guests who want something a little inspiring out of their dining experience. It's hard to put a finger on what Pachamama's really specializes in, but I think it's safe to describe the food as a fusion of the familiar and the foreign. The typical suspects are on the menu, but they've been dressed up with some modern, multicultural flare. My brothers have grown to learn that eating out is about trying new things in our family, and bless their hearts, they really try. With their tastes in mind, we decided to order the the Rock Shrimp Mac & Cheese "Lollipops" as an appetizer. It sounded intriguing and what kid wouldn't want to eat mac & cheese on a skewer? Sneak some shrimp in there, fry it up, and it's bound to excite their taste buds. They were good. For dinner we all ordered different items and passed them around the table to for everyone to try. My dad ordered the Apple-Wood Smoked Duck Breast, Heidi tried the fish special (which is escaping me right now), the boys split a Star Bar Burger jazzed with white cheddar and smoked bacon, and I picked Oaxaca-Cheese Stuffed Thick Cut Pork Chop. The duck breast arrived to the table drizzled with a brown sugar blueberry butter on a bed of fingerling potatoes and creamed zucchini.

Duck may not be my favorite bird on a plate, but it was definitely a combination of tastes I hadn't tried before, which is always a good thing. We all enjoyed Heidi's fish. No one seemed to love my pork chop, but I liked it. I felt like there was too much going on in the dish, but I really like the crushed hominy underneath the chop. It had a gritty texture and it really complimented the rojo sauce, which had the right amount of heat.

I don't know that a pork chop really need cheese stuffed into it, but it was an interesting
technique. The burger impressed us all. It was killer. A friend of mine used to work in the Pachamama's kitchen and he swears it's the best burger in town. I believe him. He said they grind the ground beef in house, bake the buns, and have a secret combination of ingredients in their patties. I'd venture to say the burgers at Pachamama's are senior to Dempsey's and The Burger Stand. If you're in Lawrence, you may want to venture on your own burger taste challenge. We ditched a fancy dessert so the boys could enjoy some Cold Stone, which puts their Salina ice cream options to shame. Their visit really meant a lot to me and dinner at Pachamama's was a perfect cap to my four years in Lawrence.

This will be my last full week in Lawrence, a place I definitely consider a home. I received a stellar education in this town and I've met some amazing people here. I learned a lot about the local restaurant scene and I observed several kitchens that will forever influence the rest of my career. I may feel a little tender right now, but it's only because I've grown attached to the familiar. The beginning of a new beginning is never easy.