September 03, 2010

MISE EN PLACE: It means the world.

Mise en place is a state of mind, or atleast that's how Chef Nic describes it. Mise en place is everything. Sure, the literal translation from French to English is "put in place," but mise en place is much more. It's everything from the way cooks organize their cooking stations, to the way they fasten their apron into place. Mise en place is the zen of cooking. When a cook thinks and acts with precision, they have a "mise en place state of mind." It ensures optimal and successful planning, preparation, and execution of food.

Tonight I completed my first lesson in the first level of my training. As I expected, it was syllabus day. For the first two hours we discussed safety and hygiene. We stood around the chef's station, all of us in full uniform for the first time. Even though there wasn't a lit range in the entire kitchen, perspiration gathered on the foreheads around me. It's hot in all those clothes! You're covered from head to toe in thick, starched cotton. When we actually do start cooking, it's probably going to get a little musty in the kitchen.

Half way through the class we broke for family meal, which was a meal prepared and delivered by students in level five. They made us roasted chicken, corn, couscous, and salad. It was simple and very appreciated. We had thirty minutes to eat and hydrate. I made sure to throw back a cup of strong, black coffee. After our break, I was feeling ready for action.

We were all instructed to peel and chop two large onions, two carrots, two turnips, and a leek. Chef Nic demonstrated and we were to duplicate seven different forms of taillage, which is the action of chopping in a uniform fashion. Chef Nic took seven earthy root vegetables and transformed them into a variety of small, symmetrical, and uniform pieces of perfection. The dirty and purple turnip was turned into fine, very delicate, pieces of confetti.

When it was time to test our knife skills I was feeling pretty confident. Chopping onions isn't difficult work, but it was nice to be the first student to show chef my work. "Very nice," he said, giving me the OK to move on. When I looked back at my classmates I realized some of them probably hadn't cut an onion before. I don't want to look at class with a competitive mindset, but it's reassuring to know that I'm not the least experienced person in the kitchen. We're all just learning. Carrots, turnips, and leeks didn't give me any problems either. I was again the first student to finish.

"Almost as good as mine," the chef said. I was relieved.

At the end of class we were all given two carrots to take home and practice. I'll need to bring evidence of my practice to class on Saturday for chef's approval. I have a feeling level one is going to be a lot of chopping. Here's hoping it doesn't leave me feeling chopped.