October 01, 2010

It just feels right.


This place screams my ex-boyfriend. It's eccentric and decorated with odd paintings, faded strained glass windows, plants that look like they belong to my grandmother, and small strands of Christmas lights draped across brick walls. Each table is small, wooden, and tarnished from sweaty glasses. None of the vintage chairs have mates and water is served in old jam jars. I love it here. It feels slightly familiar.

The menu reminds me of Saturday mornings in Lawrence when I would roll out of bed with a growling stomach, wanting eggs and a cup of coffee. The place is called Mud, where the strong coffee, or "mud," attracts people from all over The East Village. It doesn't matter that there's a Starbucks down the street and another local coffee shop around the corner. People come here. People come here for real coffee and real conversation that is only interrupted by a good song. Today they are playing Led Zeppelin and The Doors. Jim Morrison's "People Are Strange" carries me through each page of the menu. It all sounds perfect for a rainy day with my journal and my textbook.

I think I'll order a cup of leek soup. The waitress confirms this is the best choice. Unlike some places I've been in New York City, the baristas and servers here are friendly and they genuinely want you to enjoy your coffee and whatever time you have to spend at their little rock 'n rock flee market haven. I drink the cappuccino that was made by a man that is surely going to become my East Village barista crush. He smiled when I walked in, ready to take my order. "Do you cards?" I asked, forgetting I had cash, dumb-struck by his good looks. "Cash only," he answered. I returned to the street, looking for an ATM. As I fed my card to the machine I looked down to notice bills peeking from my wallet. I'm such a sucker for cute bartenders and bartistas.

My leek soup arrives and it's the perfect consistency. It's served with sliced wheat toast. The server introduces herself. Her name is Summer and she's from Kentucky. We already relate. She tells me that here are extremely busy and brunch is only $12 with drinks included. Even if I'm not patient enough to stand in line for brunch, I think this will have to be a place where I am a regular. It just feels right.