August 29, 2010

Work Ethic


I really admire strong work ethic, and I know I'm not alone in admiring how hard so many Mexican men work everyday in American restaurants. The hispanics definitely hold the majority where I work, and I've never seen a group of individuals work as hard as they do on a daily basis. They take their work seriously.

This evening I had the pleasure of sitting down with a few guys who work in the back of the house. When they asked me if I'd grab a beer after work, they looked a little surprised that I accepted. I know I have a lot to learn about the kitchen, and I knew this was an opportunity.

One of them has been with the company for five years, so he's seen a lot of people come and go. He's a man of few words, but it's obvious that everyone he works with holds a lot of respect for him. I unfortunately don't really remember any of the Spanish I learned two years ago at KU and he doesn't speak terrific English, but I understood the heart of his advice: work hard.

That's the secret in this business - work hard and do the job well. Oh, and knowing Spanish probably doesn't hurt... I'll get on that. I've already purchased some study materials. In the meantime I'll keep trying to have conversations in broken Spanish.